By the time the final whistle blows and a new Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned, TK's American Cafe will have made more than 20,000 chicken wings.
The sports bar, located at 255 White St. in Danbury, has been prepping for the Big Day for the past three weeks. And after 22 years in business, owner Tom Kennedy has it broken down to a science.
Tomorrow, three extra deep fryers will be in operation and a refrigerator truck will be stationed outside to hold all the wings before they are cooked. There will be 40 employees working to keep the wings flying out the door and onto the bar and tables in the establishment.
The phones have already been ringing off the hook as folks place their take-out order, Kennedy says.
Super Bowl Stats, TK Style
- 21,600 — wings sold on Super Bowl Day 2012
- 22,500 — record for most wings ever sold, on Super Bowl Day 2008 (the Giants vs. Patriots)
- 2,500 — number of pounds in 20,000 chicken wings
- 500 — single biggest order of wings
- 52 — the number of sauces to choose from
- 22.5 — number of years in business
Two Special Sauces for Game Day
In celebration of this year's Super Bowl, TK's created two special sauces:
- Old Bay Baltimore Wings (5 for $4.99 or 10 for $8.99)
- SanFran Parmesan Wings (5 for $4.99 or 10 for $8.99)
Traditional Buffalo Hot is the most popular sauce, Kennedy says. Honeyaki (teriyaki and honey) is a close second. All varieties can be found on TK's menu.
"It's my busiest day of the year by far," Kennedy says of the Super Bowl. "Being a sports bar and known for the wings."
Going on to explain what makes TK's wings a crowd favorite, Kennedy says, "Our wings are always fresh and we make our own sauces."
"We deep fry 'em the way you're supposed to," he adds.
You can reach TK's by calling 203-730-1776.
Let everyone know what you think of TK's and their wings by reviewing the sports bar in our directory of Danbury businesses, by clicking here.