Democrat Christopher Kelly for Board of Education.
BBA Management Science – Saint Bonaventure University
have managed human resources, customer service, marketing, and sales functions
within the life insurance industry for 28 years. Employers have been:
· Phoenix Life Insurance
· Allstate Insurance Agency
· Vantis Life Insurance Company
Why are you seeking office?
There are three
reasons why I continue to participate in elected office:
1. It reinforces my connection to the community
2. It allows me to pay back a town that has provided me with many benefits in my life
3. It is a personal challenge to try and have a positive impact within the democratic process
What experience do you bring to the table?
There are five
aspects of my background that helps me as a current member of the Board of
1. I have been on the Board since 2007 and am familiar with many aspects of managing the school system. This will be helpful as we face some unique challenges over the next four years.
2. I previously served on the Board of Selectmen from 1989 – 1995 and was Deputy First Selectmen from 1993 – 1995. This provides me with a broader perspective of the impact of the school system upon the overall government of Simsbury.
3. My professional management experience includes a broad range of areas that provide helpful insights into assisting the school system. These areas include training, human resources, labor relations, IT and organizational development among others.
4. With my own daughter being in the school system I get a first -hand experience of the parental perspective of interacting with the school system.
5. At one point in my life I worked with special needs children within Simsbury. This experience created a strong commitment to fulfilling the unique needs of this constituency.
What do you feel is the town's most pressing issue?
There are three
equally important issues that the Simsbury school system is facing that will
need to be effectively managed:
Effective implementation of the Common Core
Curriculum and teacher evaluation process
2. Effectively managing both the cost and quality of education during a period of decreasing enrollment
3. Fulfill the needs of each student with special needs
do you love most about town?
I like that despite our size Simsbury retains many of the virtues of a small colonial New England town. I live near the center of town and enjoy that in a short walk I can access both downtown Simsbury, but also the trails and open space along the Farmington River.
I also appreciate
the diversity of activities that are available in town for both adults and
do you like to do for fun?
I like to hike, rollerblade,
ski, skate, sail, play baseball, and read about history.
How can residents keep up with you?
I can be reached at:
· Facebook Group Discussion Forum – Friends of Chris Kelly, Simsbury BOE. This is a non partisan forum for discussion as well as learning about my position on issues.