Route 315 reopened shortly after noon Tuesday after a construction crew had ruptured a gas main near the intersection with St. John's Place shortly after 11 a.m.
After the pipe was accidentally hit by R.H. White Construction employees, working in the area for Aquarion Water Co., the Simsbury Volunteer Fire Co., police and Connecticut Natural Gas responded to the area, officials said.
Nearby businesses Educational Playcare and Old Well Tavern were evacuated and Route 315 closed, said Lt. Fred Sifodaskalakis.
Officials also briefly responded to Squadron Line School when an odor was reported there but officials determined it was related to the leak on Route 315.
Officials were able to find a lever to shut off gas service near Route 10 around noon and the Route 315 was reopen shortly after. People were allowed back into the businesses around 12:20 p.m.
The children at the day care were kept safe during the incident and some picked up by parents, officials said.