[Video] Police Share New Details About Fatal Simsbury Shooting

Simsbury Police held a press conference Thursday to share new details about a shooting that left two dead at The Meadows apartments in Simsbury.

At a press conference Thursday afternoon at Simsbury Town Hall, Simsbury Police Chief Peter Ingvertsen shared new details about a fatal shooting that took place Wednesday night at The Meadows apartment complex.

When Simsbury Police received a frantic 911 call from a young woman who told the dispatcher that her live-in boyfriend had a gun pointed at her, officers were immediately sent to an apartment complex in the town's south end.

"While she was on the phone, the dispatcher heard two distinct rounds being fired and a scream from the woman who was on the 911 line and the phone went dead," Ingvertsen said.

When officers arrived at 51 Hopmeadow Street and approached the apartment where the young couple lived they heard a child crying inside.

Free Daily Newsletter | Facebook | Twitter

Ingvertsen said officers notified the emergency task force team when they arrived but after they heard the child they decided to act fast.

“The officers decided that they weren’t going to wait for the EST team to respond. The Simsbury officers basically broke into the home and discovered two bodies on the floor,” Ingvertsen said. Both a male and a female were pronounced dead at the scene.

The approximately 18-month-old male child was discovered in the room adjacent to where the bodies were found, according to police.

Police have still not identified the two victims but did say they were both in their early to mid 20’s. The bodies have been sent to the medical examiner and autopsies are expected to be performed on Friday, Ingvertsen said.

The weapon used in the shooting was an automatic handgun but police were unable to say whether the weapon was registered.

The couple’s child is now in the custody of Connecticut Department of Children and Services.

Police are continuing their investigation to determine the events that unfolded over the 24 hours prior to the shooting. The couple had been living in Simsbury for approximately 18 months.

Ingvertsen said police have notified what they believe to be next of kin but will not release the names of the individuals until the autopsy is complete.

To read the original story, click here.

East Granby September 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Why are we concerned about registered hand gun and prepared statements right now? These are questions for a time when the shock and horror of this terrible crime have subsided and a conversation for later. Our thoughts and prayers need to be with the 18 month old and the families. What a horrific terrifying event for the young woman and this small child to go through. So so sad.
Paul Bahre September 21, 2012 at 01:10 PM
I didn't bring up the gun registration, I just pointed out the illogical statement in the story.
LM September 21, 2012 at 04:23 PM
I knew this woman, I worked with her. She had a cute baby boy and was a loving person/mother. this is very sad.
Betty September 21, 2012 at 04:28 PM
A very tragic event. Unfortunately we hear of events like this far too often.
Marci September 21, 2012 at 08:52 PM
So upsetting... So sad for this little baby boy. ..I too hope there is a loving grandparent on the Moms side of the family as it was the young Mom who was calling the police, telling a gun was being aimed at her when they heard the first shot.. My prayers go out to all the remaining family members.. Apparently someone just snapped as neighbors have previously stated they seemed happy.. So very tragic. Just not common in this area, at least not in my experience. Two lives lost in an instant..


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »