Submitted by the Simsbury Volunteer Fire Company
The Simsbury Volunteer Fire Company wants to warn you that fire takes no holiday. They want you to have a happy holiday season by observing a few safety tips.
- Home smoke detectors make ideal gifts for the holiday season. Studies show that most fire fatalities occur when the household is asleep. A smoke detector could mean the difference between life and death. Their batteries should be changed at least once a year.
- Your tree should be in a stand designed to support trees and kept in a good supply of water at all times. The water should be checked daily and when the needles begin to fall off the tree, it is time to take it outside. Your tree should be placed away from all heat sources such as stoves, radiators and fireplaces. Do not block doorways or access to stairs.
- Never use any type of flammable decorations or candles on a Christmas tree and be sure to check all holiday lights for frayed or broken wires. Lights should be tested and labeled for the specific purpose by a recognized testing laboratory. Heat from the tree lights will dry out the tree; do not leave the tree lights on when the room is unoccupied.
- To prevent chimney and house fires, do not burn the Christmas tree or wrappings in the fireplace. These items are extremely flammable and will create too much heat for the fireplace.
- With snowy weather approaching, please make sure fire hydrants are shoveled free of snow so they are clearly visible and accessible from the street. Don't wait for your neighbor to do it - the life you save may be your own.
The fire department wants residents to have a happy holiday season!